COVID-19: General Guidance on Return to Play
The following recommendations should be followed. They currently include but are not limited to:
- Stay at home if you are feeling sick or experiencing the following symptoms: People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. If you have had any of these symptoms in the past 14 days, please stay home.
Cough Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing Fever of 100.3 degrees F/37.9 degrees C Chills Muscle Pain Sore Throat New loss of taste or smell *This list is not all of the possible symptoms. Other less common symptoms have been reported, including gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/youth-sports.html
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and equipment (including balls, mouth guards, sticks, water bottles, helmets, eyewear, pads, shin guards, uniform).
- No sharing of equipment, snacks, water bottles, towels. Players and coaches should avoid or limit contact. No high fives, fist bumps, team huddles etc.
- Thoroughly wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (sing “Happy Birthday” twice) or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 70% alcohol. Prior to and after the event.
- If capability exists, temperatures of participants may be taken using an infrared thermometer. Anyone with a temperature of 100.3 degrees or more will be sent home and should be evaluated by a licensed medical professional before being cleared to participate.
- Arrive dressed and ready to train/play.
- Minimize the use of bathrooms and communal areas. Please use your home restroom prior to the event.
- Eat off-site and bring own water bottle.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- A coach or appointed adult representative will maintain a list of players who attend each event. The team connect app is a great tool for attendance.
- Should any Coach, Volunteer or Athlete contract Covid-19, they should immediately notify the league commissioner.
- Players on the sidelines should be spaced out. Players should place their bags, water, and equipment at a reasonable distance apart and return to their bag during breaks. Each player should remain at their bag until they return to the field or leave.
- There will be 20 minutes between games/practices to clear the field. Please do not go to the playing field until 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Please leave the field immediately after the event. Do not congregate at the field or in the parking lot.
- It is important that everyone continues to observe social distancing guidelines. It is highly recommended that parents and spectators remain in their vehicles during the event.
- It is RECOMMENDED that Coaches, players, and spectators must wear a mask. Coaches and Players may remove their mask while on the playing on the field.
For more information on best practices on social gatherings: https://commerce.maryland.gov/Documents/BusinessResource/FAQs_Social%20Gatherings_final.pdf
For more information on best practices on return to youth sports: https://commerce.maryland.gov/Documents/BusinessResource/Youth-Sports-COVID-19-Best-Practices.pdf